call, email, or have us contact you… jump back to the main page…

1848 - Chartered as Rose Hill Baptist Sunday School/Church, on 30th Street between Third Avenue and Lexington avenue. Rose Hill was a house church with twelve members.
1849 - Rose Hill Baptist became Lexington Avenue Baptist Church with twenty-eight members at 154 Lexington Avenue and 30th Street in a new Lombardian Romanesque-style edifice, which is now the First Moravian Church. Jeremiah Milbank (developer of canned milk with inventor Gale Borden) and other congregational leaders (including the Colgate family) decided to move the church. Five lots at 31st Street and Madison Avenue became the site of a grand new structure.
1867 - For an interesting look at sermons that were delivered in 1867, visit the Shiloh Online Library
1885 - Following the death of Jeremiah Milbank, memorial stained glass windows depicting the life, healing ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus by F. X. Zettler of Germany (sculptor of Infalbert's Angel of the Gospel statue) were installed behind the pulpit. A gym was also built in the church basement.
1903 - Ordination of Harry Emerson Fosdick (the most prominent liberal Baptist minister of the early 20th Century and author of the hymn God of Grace and God of Glory) held at MABC.
1906 - The Parish House replaced the chapel (at E. 31st) to better serve the community.
1929 - The church replaced its original structure with the Roger Williams (pioneer American baptist/founder of Rhode Island) Hotel. The church sanctuary was placed within the hotel structure. New stained glass was added depicting the Gospel Writers and their symbols: Matthew/Cherub, Mark/Lion, Luke/Ox, and John/Eagle.

Learn the history of the pipe organs built for the church by visiting this link from the New York Organist guild.

1930's-1940's - The Great Depression and WWII, ministry adapting
1950's - MABC sponsored church school, adult and young adult groups and film festivals.
1971 - First performance of "Jesus Christ Superstar" was held at MABC on April 4th
1978 - Parish House was home to the Bel Canto Opera Company
Early 1980's - MABC begins Sunday Afternoon Meal for Seniors (free meals for the midtown elderly) and also a Shelter for the Homeless.
1989 - MABC and New York Theological Seminary go into partnership in developing Kids Clubhouse, an after-school program for children living in midtown Welfare Hotels. The program was housed in the Parish House.
1992 - The church begins ministries to person with AIDS at Bellevue Hospital sponsored by the Bellevue Chaplains Office, and in 1995 at the Flemister House, ABC Metro NY's AIDS ministry on West 22nd Street.
1993 - MABC became a Charter member of the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptist made up of American Baptist Churches and Organizations desiring to be inclusive of gay and lesbians.
1996 - Dramatic Renovation of the Roger Williams Hotel, Rafael Vinoly, Architect.
2001 - On September 11, the World Trade Center was attacked. All of our lives were changed.
1985-2004 MABC worked with twelve Student Interns from Union Theological Seminary and New York Theological Seminary. Six were ordained to the Christian Ministry by MABC. They are: the Rev. Dana Fenton, the Rev. Bette Buffa, the Rev. Michele Grimes, The Rev. Paul Raushenbush, the Rev. Jennifer Harvey and the Rev. Susan Sparks.